Thursday, June 16, 2011

mmm..... food....

So.......... I really like food.
When I was pregnant with Quinn I tried to eat as healthy as I could. I didn't eat much fast food. Lots of good fruits and vegetables. I took it pretty easy.
I didn't do as good while pregnant with Max, but since I was trying to teach Quinn to appreciate healthy foods (to an excessive/obsessive/unhealthy degree) I was still fairly healthy.
But now this time around....
My justification for pretty much anything is, "Whatever, I DESERVE this!"
And holy cannoli, I've made some pretty darn good food lately.
So if you're in the mood to eat something totally unhealthy that will bring tears of joy to your eyes, here are a few of the latest recipes that this pregnant lady/food lover has fallen in love with:



So yummy. Not crazy sweet. Super dense and moist. Great way to eat blueberries. And in the recipe I just used basic versions of what it called for - Large eggs instead of extra large, lowfat yogurt instead of whole. Mmm..... make some and share with your neighbors.


I have a rule that I buy a gyro anytime I get the chance. Fairs, roadside stands... I'm not picky. I love gyros. So when I found a recipe online I knew I had to try it. I was skeptical about using chicken instead of lamb, but since I didn't have any lamb (although, in this town, I'm sure I could have gotten my hands on some pretty easy...) I figured I'd give it a try. And hooo boy, it worked. In fact, I just ate it about ten minutes ago. The sauce is awesome. The chicken wasn't a problem. Dangit, it was good. And I'm a new woman.



This was VERY good. Pretty rich. Resurant quality (that's one of the best compliments that Zach can give me at the dinner table). I used onions instead of leeks. Because yes, in this town I could easily find lamb, but certainly not leeks.


Brownies via Buns In My Oven (not the most appetizing title for a food blog...)


This is what I'm chasing down that gyro with. I made these a few weeks ago and they totally rocked my world. Zach said that they were just "ok", but then I explained to him that since he's not a woman he can't accurately judge chocolate. These are fudgy and dense and rich and thick... I don't think I'll ever use a boxed mix again. Make them.




There are a few more things I've made lately, but this is a good enough list for now.

FYI: I found all of these recipes through Pinterest. Check it out. Let me know if you want an invite. It's.... addictive. And awesome. And while it's not just recipes and food, I've made 11 recipes from there just in the last two months...


Mmmm..... I love food....




p.s. After reading through all of that I feel like I need to add in that we do eat quite a few fruits and vegetables and whole grains every day. And you've seen pictures of my scrawny kids and husband. We're not total gluttons...

5 comments:

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

Fatty.

haha just kidding!
I repinned those brownies, because they looked SO good. I haven't tried them yet, mainly because I somehow was able to lose 3 lbs this last week, and I'd rather not sabotage myself this time (I have a bad habit of doing that. I think "OH I LOST WEIGHT! Now I can have a brownie!!").
I'll have to try the others sometime too. Especially the lemon-blueberry cake. It's pretty. :)

Also, the "restaurant quality" compliment is the best I can get in this house too. :)

makimaki75 said...

making my grocery list RIGHT NOW.

MaryPosa said...

Ha ha, sounds like my third pregnancy too. In fact, I did tell you about that one crazy dream I had didn't I? About the pastry shop? It very accurately describes my attitudes toward food at the time. (If not, tell me and i'll e-mail you.) I love finding good recipes on Pinterest. I just found a Chicken Tikka Masala that i'm very excited about.

aswigfromthesiggs said...

YUM! I am going to try that lemon-blueberry thing this week, I have loads of blue berries (and when I say loads, I mean like 12 quarts!)

maurine said...

mmmmmm, I'm going to make all of these.