I don't know where the name comes from, but they are fabulous. We make these often and both boys (well, all three really) are nuts for them. The only way I can think to describe them is they're kind of a sweet, eggy muffin. Mmm. Here's the recipe:
1 stick of butter
1 cup of milk (if I have some mixed up I use dry milk from the cannery - works great)
1/4 cup sugar (I added this to the original recipe - much better)
3/4 cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 375. Generously grease a 12 cup muffin pan, seriously - spray the entire top and cups.
2. In a medium saucepan melt butter; add milk and sugar. Bring to boiling.
3. Add flour all at once and stir like crazy with a wooden spoon. Cook and stir until the mixture starts trying to form a smooth ball. It won't totally become a ball but it will start coming together. At that point remove it from the heat and let it sit for five miuntes.
4. After five minutes add the eggs one at a time, beating for about a minute after adding each one.
5. Once it's all mixed use one spoon to scoop up a big spoonful and another spoon to scrape it off into the muffin cup. Once pan is full pop it in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes - once the peaks start browning.
6. They puff up huge but once you pull them out they begin deflating (bummer). I scrape mine out with a knife around the edge of each cup and pile them up on a plate to cool. Cool for a few minutes and then ENJOY. Max likes to dip his in his milk. I don't know where he got that from, but it's seriously cute.