Tuesday, April 28, 2009

boys are weird.

I just found an ant crawling on me. That's disgusting.



It must be spring.



Another indicator of spring around here are all the lovely tulips, irises and daffodils that magically pop up all over our yard once it gets warm. I've been looking forward to it ever since they all dried up and died last year. So they finally started to bloom a week or so ago and I was feeling all warm and happy inside. Spring was finally here!! Then when I went outside on Sunday I saw this:








That little punk.



There's a certain phrase my mom always said (she probably doesn't say it as much now that all of us little ankle biters are out of the house) that rings through my brain at least once a day. When I find my sweet tulips decapitated (what did they ever do to him!?), or when I've just vacuumed and he brings in his matchbox tractors with a scoop of dirt in each one and dumps them on the floor, or when I've just made my bed and he decides he wants to burrow all the way to the bottom... All I can think is, "CAN'T I HAVE ANYTHING NICE?!?!" Thanks for that Mom. I wonder what my kids will say that reminds them of me. Most likely, "Dangit."



Another thing I think all the time is, "My life is weird." And I think that's the case for any mother. I'm constantly finding myself saying the strangest things. Like just now: "Max, we don't eat diapers." Or earlier today: "Look Quinn, that little girl is eating ice cream. She must put her poops in the potty." What?? And Quinn's started this new thing where he makes gross gulping sounds in the back of his throat just for fun. It's sick. But that's such a boy thing to do. I used to babysit little boys that did stuff like that and I thought they were disgusting. Now it's my kid.


Which is another thing I've discovered - As soon as I find myself thinking something someone else's kid does is dumb, MY kid starts doing it. Taking off his diaper in the middle of a nap and peeing in his bed, dumping out every box of toys in the house and then refusing to play with them or pick them up, telling me he wants to watch Bambi, then freaking out when Bambi comes on because he wants to watch Robin Hood, then freaking out when I take Bambi out... And when I tell him to pick one show he lays face down on the floor and refuses to talk. Are ya kidding me?? (Another phrase I'm sure my kids will pick up from me.)




DUDE, what the heck, I just found ANOTHER ant crawling on me. I don't blame any of you if you cut off all contact with me from here on out. Apparently I have ants living on my body and that's a deal breaker. Ugh. I'm completely grossed out right now.

Can't I have anything nice?!?!

I have a weird life.



If that doesn't wet your appettite, this should:

Mexican Lasagna from
CuisineNie (I adore NieNie)
I've tweeked this recipe just a tad to the way that I make it. But the instructions are all from Nie Nie. This recipe rocks my boat. I can't get enough of it. And Zach told me to make it a regular. Cilantro, fresh spinach and those tall stacks of corn tortillas are the new staples in our house.
Make it. You'll thank me. And then I'll thank Nie for you. 'Cuz, ya know, we're tight like that. (dreaming again.)

1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
4 scallions, coarsely chopped
Salt and ground pepper
6 ounces fresh baby spinach (give or take some...)
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup salsa
shredded cheddar (about 2 cups)
Nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a food processor, combine cilantro, scallions, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with as much spinach as will fit; pulse, adding remaining spinach in batches, until coarsely chopped. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Lay 4 tortillas in bottom of dish (they will overlap slightly). Layer with half of beans, salsa, spinach mixture, and cheese; repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with cheese and pressing in gently. Cover dish with foil; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes; remove foil, and continue baking until golden, 15 to 20 minutes more. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving. HOLY YUM.

It's far too late now. I'm off to bed.

3 comments:

Travis and Cristan said...

I can so realate! Boys are weired and gross! And just when you think "I'm going to KILL him!" he'll turn around and say, "I yuve you mama!"
And about weird things you never thought you would say. I GET IT!
And to add something- things I never thought I'd do. For example- tie a whole row of doors together in my hall so Mason cant escape his room

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I will be making your recipe. Too bad it's too late to do it for cinco de mayo. That looks really good.

MaryPosa said...

Ok so i made the recipe... kind of. So remember how i'm married to Blair? Yeah. The main change was that i added about 1/3 lb of ground beef, and a bunch of frozen corn. i browned it up, then warmed it all up with the corn and the salsa. Also i omitted the scallions (and instead i added some onion and chopped garlic when cooking the meat. Also i had no cilantro, i only had frozen spinach, and i only had navy beans in the pantry so i used those. And then (again, because i'm married to Blair) it got dolloped with some sour cream once it was on our plates. Basically it barely resembled the same recipe. Nevertheless. It was phenomenal. and we will be eating it again soon i'm sure. I could tell Blair liked it, because he got seconds. that rarely happens with my cooking for some reason. :)